Grilled Vanilla French Toast
- 6 eggs
- ¼ c. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. half and half
- One 9- to 10-in. loaf of brioche,
challah or white sandwich bread,
sliced ¾ in. thick (about 12 slices),
- Vegetable oil, for grilling
- Butter and maple syrup or jam, for serving
- Preheat grill to medium. In a shallow baking dish, whisk the eggs with the sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Whisk in the half & half.
- Working in batches, add the slices of bread to the egg mixture and turn to coat; let stand until well soaked, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Lightly oil the grill grates, then grill the soaked bread over moderately high heat until dark brown grill marks form on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip and grill for about 2 minutes longer, until the French toast is cooked through.
- Transfer to plates and serve with butter and maple syrup or jam.
View the original recipe on Epicurious