Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas with Kale Pesto
- 1 zucchini, sliced into ¼ in. thick slices
- 1 small eggplant, diagonally
sliced into ¼ in. slices
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed,
seeded and quartered
- 1 small red onion, sliced into ¼ in. rounds
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. fine grain salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 c. grated cheese (Monterey Jack
is the best)
- 4 large tortillas or 8 small ones
- 4 tbsp. kale pesto
- 2 tsp. butter, divided
- Freshly chopped parsley (or cilantro)
- Place vegetables on a large platter. Drizzle with two tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high (lightly oil the grill grates).
- Grill vegetables, turning frequently, until tender and slightly charred, about 4 minutes for the onion and 7 minutes for the eggplant, zucchini and red bell pepper.
- Transfer vegetables to a cutting board and let cool for about 5 minutes. Cut into roughly 1½ inch pieces and set aside.
- Lay out a tortilla, then build the quesadilla by spreading 1 tablespoon of pesto and adding some grated cheese and grilled veggies on top. Sprinkle on a little more grated cheese and top with a second tortilla.
- Place quesadilla on lightly oiled grill. When the tortilla is golden, carefully flip the quesadilla to the other side. Continue cooking until the second side is golden.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Cut each quesadilla into wedges and serve.
View the original recipe on The Iron You